The purpose of the meeting is to prevent the establishment of new businesses that sell firearms and to try and adopt regulations that will make it extremely difficult for Templar Sports to continue to sell firearms or ammunition through the use of abusive regulations.
SUBJECT: CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING AN URGENCY ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING A MORATORIUM ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS ENGAGED IN THE SALES OF RETAIL FIREARMS, AMMUNITION AND/OR EXPLOSIVE DEVICES.
They plan to use the following to outlaw firearms and ammunition sales:
- Zoning changes to attempt to put Templar Sports and other possible sports stores that sell firearms or ammunition within an expanded area of schools, parks or “other establishments.”
- Establish conditional use permits for the sale of firearms and ammunition.
- Restrict home FFL usage permits.
- Establish an additional Police Permit requirement for dealers of firearms and ammunition.
- Requiring identification checks for the sale of ammunition.
- Establishing regulations on the reporting of lost or stolen firearms.
They will call for an immediate moratorium on new businesses that sell firearms using the following:
“Government Code Section 65858(x) authorizes a jurisdiction to adopt, as an urgency measure, an interim zoning ordinance (also referred to as an “urgency ordinance “) prohibiting certain uses which may be in conflict with the general plan, specific plan
or zoning ordinance which a jurisdiction is considering, without following the procedures otherwise required for the adoption of a zoning ordinance. Before adopting or extending an urgency ordinance, Council must make a finding that there is a current and immediate threat to public health, safety or welfare, or that the approval of additional development applications would result in such a threat.”
I have added the above bold highlights to show the Town Council can arbitrarily determine what the see as a threat to safety of welfare of the community. The all capital letters were on the original notice issued by the Los Gatos Town Council. You can read the entire Los Gatos Town Council notice here.
We need your support to speak against such a moratorium. See our flyer for more instructions on the March 4th meeting here.